Friday, June 28, 2013

Boarding my dog.

Hey everyone,

I was on vacation last Saturday through Wednesday. It was...different. Besides the point of my experience which I'll talk about in later post, I wanted to talk my dog's first experience with boarding.

We dropped our dog, Bandit, off Saturday at a small boarding place which was actually on a road that was named Barker. It was a cute little cabin and seemed like an actual vacation for Bandit. Honestly, I didn't know what to think about the process and the way Bandit was going to react.

The minute we walked in the place it was three other people that trailed behind us with their dogs. Bandit being his obvious overly friendly self wanted to basically wanted to harass the other dogs. It was these two small adorable dogs. They looked like they were mocking Bandit and really want to play with him.

The other lady with this lab that kind of looked like Bandit since he is a lab mix just sat there looking at the chaos. This fuzzy dog, I forgot the breed, snapped at the tiny dog and the owner took her outside.

A worker finally came out and started checking Bandit in. She asked about the food amount and that was it. That was it. I thought they would ask other questions even though we set up the time and stuff. It was strange. one of the tiny dogs started to poop on the floor like it was completely normal. After that little scene was cleaned up, Bandit excitedly followed a worker to his suite.  

When we came back for Bandit Thursday morning I was so excited to see my buddy again. A worker came to give us Bandit back. My dad asked if our dog could get his nails clipped. Another worker at the counter said it would only take a few minutes. Bandit followed the worker holding his leash back behind the door.

The worker behind the counter left for a second. It was dog in the seat when she left. The dog looked like he wanted to come and meet us. It hopped on the desk and then onto the counter inches away from our face. The sweet little puppy sat right in front of us. He had cute big eyes.

The worker came back and told us about Bandit as we petted her fluffy little puppy. She said she was there for the first two days when Bandit was there. She said Bandit tail tucked the whole time around the other dogs. He had to have a separate play time. He was so scared and nervous, but he loved the staff. She said Bandit knocked over his food and water all the time. They even moved and raised his water, yet he still managed to knock it over. Smart dog. She said it was probably because he was bored not angry.

When Bandit came back he was all smiles and sniffing around the puppy. The lady behind the counter gave Bandit kisses when he jumped up to reach the counter.

Then today, our bug spray lady (I called her that since  I was little. I never bothered to learn her name. So use to come when we were in school, so we never really met her until two years ago. It was like she was an invisible fairy that sprayed to keep the bugs away. Crazy. I know.) came to the house. Last year, Bandit was so overly-friendly that he loved Ms. Marsha (my dad just corrected me). Then today, Bandit started doing this huff and puff thing. I think he was trying to bark. Then he started growling at her. He was scared. I made him go in his cage to calm down and for he wouldn't lick up the bug spray.

My mom and Ms. Marsha (bug spray lady) agreed that Bandit was scared because he thought she was going to taking him back to the boarding place. I felt so bad for him. My mom said the only way to fix it was to send him to doggie care a few times to get him use to boarding for next year's vacation.

Until next time,                               
 
Destiny                           

2 comments:

  1. I used to send my dog to a doggy day care when we went on vacation. There was this one place in south Florida called the Pompano Pet Lounge and he absolutely loved it. He'd play in the pool, sprint across the yard, and actually socialize with the other dogs. It was truly awesome. Don't worry, you're dog will probably get used to it eventually. And then (who knows?) maybe he'll find as much enjoyment from this place as my dog did at Pompano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I yeah I think my dog just didn't know what to think since it was he's first time being away from home more than a few days with unfamiliar people. Hopefully, he'll have fun and relax more next time.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting and reading my blog. I will try to reply.