Friday, October 18, 2013

Recipe: Yummy. Easy. Sweet.

Today, I made some Monkey Munch or Puppy Chow (whatever you want to call it). It is pretty much nameless. Before you arch your eyebrows up and wonder what I'm talking about, let me tell you what Monkey Munch is. (Someone really needs to give it a new name).

Basically, it is Chex Cereal dipped in chocolate and peanut butter. Then, it is completely covered in powdered sugar.  Doesn't just sound divine. Sugar.  The Chex Company, after years of making it at home, actually created the product and named it Muddies Buddies (that doesn't sound good either).

I can literally make this in ten minutes and have twice as much and half the price. Look at me; I'm being frugal today. Today, I halved the recipe though. I didn't want to make too much. Plus, we didn't have enough powder sugar to coat it all. I was so sad. I'm putting it on the grocery list for next time. My mom is doing this new thing where we grocery shop every two weeks. It supposed to save money and it does save money (guess you know where my new-found frugal-ness comes from).

Recipe Time:
Yeah, my Monkey Munch doesn't look this pretty
since we didn't have enough powder sugar.
But it is still tasty!

Ingredients:
9 cups Chex cereal (any kind)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, melted
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Instructions:
1.Measure cereal in large bowl.
2. Set aside.
3. Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter for 1 minute on high.
4. Stir.
5. Cook for 30 seconds longer or until smooth.
6. Add vanilla.
7. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until coated.
8. Pour mixture into large Ziploc bag and add powdered sugar.
9. Shake until well coated.
10.Spread on waxed paper to cool.
11.Store in Ziploc bags or large sealed bowl.

Recipe Note: It helps to add cereal mixture a little at a time if you only have small bags.

I'm thinking about making a big tub of it when the holidays comes closer and sharing it with my friends. They'll love it. Anybody else have some easy to make sweeties. I love suggestions.  





1 comment:

  1. Whatever chex is...we don't have it England! So that counts me out! Sounds tasty though :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and reading my blog. I will try to reply.